Sign Up
..... Connect Australia with the world.
Categories

Posted: 2024-04-26 17:00:28

Warsaw: King Charles will return to full duties in coming days just 10 weeks after his shock cancer diagnosis, as Buckingham Palace moves to reassure the public the monarch is recovering well amid a horror start to the year for the royal family.

In a statement released at 3am Saturday Australian time, the palace said the 75-year-old would mark his return after a period of treatment and recuperation with a visit to a cancer treatment centre next Tuesday, where he and Queen Camilla would meet medical specialists and patients.

Britain’s King Charles III and Queen Camilla stand in Buckingham Palace Gardens the day after their 19th wedding anniversary.

Britain’s King Charles III and Queen Camilla stand in Buckingham Palace Gardens the day after their 19th wedding anniversary. Credit: Buckingham Palace

A spokesperson said it was still “too early” to say how successful the King’s treatment had been, but his medical team was “very encouraged” by the progress made so far and remained positive about his continued recovery.

Charles’ return to public duties will lift hopes of a potential visit to Australia in late October or early November – his first since becoming King – with the palace confirming that planning was continuing for the couple’s northern summer and autumn engagements, while stressing “nothing can be confirmed or guaranteed at this stage”.

The royal family rallied around Charles since his diagnosis was made public on February 6 after he underwent a hospital procedure for a benign prostate enlargement revealed a second, more serious medical problem. He had only been King for 16 months.

His daughter-in-law, Catherine, Princess of Wales, was hospitalised around the same time for planned abdominal surgery and was also subsequently diagnosed with an undisclosed form of cancer.

The palace has struggled to combat wild speculation on social media about their prognoses but has been more open about their health challenge than any previous family members.

The King has undergone regular treatment at a London hospital, but has not revealed what type of cancer he has, other than confirming it is not prostate cancer. He has taken time away from public engagements to minimise the risk to his health but has continued to “undertake state business and official paperwork as usual”.

View More
  • 0 Comment(s)
Captcha Challenge
Reload Image
Type in the verification code above